Amuse me foolish humans.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer Memories: World Cup 2010

I must shamelessly admit; I watched every single FIFA World Cup match from start to end, voted for every man of the match, and adapted to the buzzing sound of the mighty  vuvuzela. 
Bzzzzz! Behold the Mighty Vuvuzela!


Yes, I was, and still am a complete Football Fanatic. World Cup 2010 started with the opening match with Mexico vs. South Africa on June 17th and ever since then I was glued to ESPN. The teams I supported throughout the games were, Brazil, Argentina, United Kingdom, Japan, and of course my beloved Spain. I was devastated when I saw Spain lose to Switzerland in their opening match, with a lucky shot by the Swiss against a flustered Casillas.  However, I never lost hope in them, I ardently supported them when they came against Chile in their next match, and I was impressed by the talent of their star player who I dont even recall seeing in Euro Cup 2008: David Villa. 
David Villa's elation after scoring against the Portuguese
Okay, well I must admit, I was a bit ruthless in my shameless fangirling for Villa , like the  Cristiano Ronaldo fangirls (ick!). But unlike Ronaldo, David Villa plays with finesse and power AND has good looks.  I'm ending it there, before my cute Portuguese boyfriend whacks me in the head for more fangirling, even though he hates Ronaldo as well. =P 

Anyways, I was surprised with the powerhouse Spain had as a team; Casillas, Villa, Iniesta, Ramos etc. For the final match against the Netherlands, I was filled with great anxiety. Will my Spain win? Will Netherlands win to penalty kicks? For the entirety of the match, I was spewing vulgarities at the TV screen in English and Spanish for every foul the Dutch made against the Spanish. I was seething with anger at the disgusting nature of their game.


Yet in the end, the Queen proved to be victorious. Andres Iniesta scored the winning goal against the Dutch at roughly 115 mins into the match. I shrieked with happiness and delight, that my beloved Spain has won the FIFA World Cup for the very first time.


Los Ganadores de la Copa del Mundo 2010!
Though, the happiness was mixed with sadness that day. Although I saw David Villa's face light up the screen in elation and joy, I felt empty. What will I do tomorrow? No more matches to watch, no more buzzing vuvuzelas, no point in waking up at 7AM to catch any matches... just nothing to do but wait until FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, pity. I don't mind whacking your head, sweety :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn... I was watching the world cup in Spain xD

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts